18 Things to Take With You Into 2018 (And 17 to Leave in 2017)
Happy New Year! 2017 was...interesting to say the least. I personally had a wonderful year full of incredible people and amazing experiences. But, I know that wasn't the case for everyone.
In the hopes of helping your 2018 be better than any year in the past, I've compiled a list of things to take into 2018, as well as a list of things to leave in 2017! Cheers! Let's kill it.
1. A positive attitude. Nobody likes a Negative Nancy. And honestly, starting each day with a positive attitude will help you to see the not-so-good things in a brighter light. Don't be pessimistic about 2018. Expect the best and it will come. (And, if it doesn't? STAY positive.)
2. Your thirst for knowledge. Try something new and stick with it! Always keep your mind open and ready to take in new information. This year, I'm looking forward to continuing my ASL classes!
3. The art of manifestation. Cue the eye rolls, right? Trust me. Speaking your desires out into the universe may seem silly and pointless, but each day I believe in manifestation more and more. If you need more convincing, I'd suggest reading Jen Sincero's incredible, no-bullshit, book You Are a Badass* ASAP. (*not sponsored)
4. Vulnerability. Open yourself up to new people and experiences. Don't be afraid to get hurt and actually feel something. We're millennials, not robots.
5. Self-Worth. As you're opening yourself up in 2018, remember that you are always #1. Keep your best interests in mind at all times and don't forget to stand up to those who may not see your worth for what it truly is.
6. Organizational skills. Don't have any? Get some. This one is directed right at myself. CLEAN OUT YOUR DAMN EMAILS. Get rid of the clutter in your home. Donate your old clothes. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.
7. A solid skincare routine. Washing your face is definitely a good start, but there is so much more that you could and SHOULD be doing to get your skin in its' best condition and keep it that way. YES, BOYS. You too. I recommend a 6-step daily routine. Cleanser, toner, essence, serum, moisturizer, & eye cream. Details on my exact routine coming soon!
8. A healthy bank account. I'm still working on this one. But, if you already know how to make this happen, good for you! Starting Badass #2 on audiobook tomorrow in the hopes of figuring it out.
9. Goals. General goals. I'm not talking about "I'm going to lose 50 pounds in a week" goals. Pushing yourself is great! But don't set yourself up for failure. You want to feel good about yourself at the end of the year! Try "I want to implement healthier choices in my life" instead.
10. Gratitude. Be thankful for all of the little things. It's great for your mind and actually very good for your health!
11. WATER. Drink it. All day. Every day. (This one is also @me, Queen of Dehydration).
12. A solid sleep schedule. At some point, staying up until 3 a.m. is going to take its' toll. Get a full 8 hours each night and wake up refreshed every day. Give each day of 2018 the energy it deserves.
13. A notebook. Whether you decide to journal every day or just write down your grocery lists, bring a notebook into 2018. I keep one in my purse at all times. You never know when inspiration is going to strike!
14. Mindfulness. Put your phone down and "take time to smell the roses" as the saying goes. Be in the moment. Appreciate every second.
15. Punctuality. Literally, just show up. On time. To the meeting, to the interview, to your life. Be there when you are supposed to be and you'll never miss out on an opportunity.
16. Breakfast. I never miss the most important meal of the day! Even if your alarm is set for you to wake up at 3 p.m., eat breakfast. You'll need the energy for all of the ass-kicking you'll be doing this year.
17. Good people. Bring the real ones with you into 2018. Make more wonderful memories and take the time to get to know them even better.
18. Books. Make time to read more! Discover new lands and maybe even learn a few lessons along the way.
1. Judging people. I’m making this numero uno because it’s SUPER important. We’re all guilty of it, but let’s let everyone live their lives and not be so nasty. K?
2. Apologizing unnecessarily. We (or at least I) say “sorry” WAY too often. Stop apologizing for the little things. Only when it’s necessary…and meant.
3. YOUR EX. This is 0% a problem of mine. However, the number of times I spoke to my friends about this in 2017 is insane. You, yes YOU. Cut all ties. Block them. Delete their numbers. Get them tf out of your life.
4. Producing content for content’s sake. This is a big one for any of us in creative industries. Bloggers/Instagramers/Youtubers, take your time. There’s no rush to post just to keep up with you current schedule. Post when you're feeling inspired and actually have something of quality to share. Don't force it. It's okay to let days, weeks, or even months pass between creating something.
5. Comparing yourself. Another downside to social media is that we are only seeing the best parts of someone’s life. Everyone has the ability to carefully curate their feed. It's EXTREMELY important to understand this. Don’t compare your life to anyone else’s based on what you see online – or in real life.
6. The idea of perfection. Piggybacking off of #5, there is NO SUCH THING as perfection. Forget that that word even exists, and move forward in pursuit of the best version of you this year.
7. Superficial relationships. We waste so much time communicating with people that we really don’t “miss so much” or “need to catch up” with. This year, I’m cleaning out my socials and unfriending/unfollowing anyone and everyone that I wouldn’t call to hang out with IRL.
8. Overworking. We’re all on the grind and we know that hustling is crazy important. But, so is our health. Remember to take a day off every once-in-a-while and do something you love. Whether it’s reading a book, going shopping, or even taking a nap! Your brain will thank you.
9. Unnecessary stress. The world WILL keep turning if you relax. I promise. Step away from whatever you're stressing about and look at it from the outside. You can come back to it at a later time. You may find you were driving yourself crazy for no reason.
10. Anything that doesn’t make you happy. Now that it’s 2018, it’s time to get rid of all of the extras in your life. This goes for clutter AND people. Like Emily Gilmore discovering “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up”, be ruthless. Get rid of that shit!
11. Your comfort. Let’s all take some risks this year. Fairly often, the things that make us uncomfortable are the things we should be doing to better ourselves and help us to reach our goals. Whether in your career or personal life, leave your comfort zone in 2017 and do something that scares you.
12. The need for validation. You do not need anyone to validate your choices, your decisions, or your existence. EVER. Be confident in everything you do and stick to your guns. You've got this!
13. Impatience. This one can be hard. Especially with our personal goals. We know what we are capable of and we want it to happen now. But instant gratification isn’t everything. If you work your butt off, you WILL reach your goals! All in due time.
14. Regrets. No ragrets.
15. Assumptions. You know what they say about people who assume...but seriously. If you don't know what ACTUALLY happened or what was ACTUALLY said or what someone is ACTUALLY like, don't jump to conclusions. Don't act a fool. Or you will definitely look like one.
16. Your attitude. Check it at the door of 2018. Good vibes only from here on out.
17. Fidget spinners. Seriously.